The building is registered in the register of assets of local interest.The swimming pool is a project by Francesco Della Casa (1884-1933), artist and architect from Meride commissioned by Ferdinando Bustelli (1865-1935), a citizen of Arzo, who emigrated in 1882 in Buenos Aires and who made his fortune in Argentina by exporting concrete construction techniques. He bought an area of 18700m2 where there was a sawmill for marble and created a football field and a public artificial swimming pool for the population that was inaugurated in 1932.
For hygienic reasons the swimming pool was closed in the 1960s. Between 1969 and 1970 the north-east wall of the building was partially demolished and an accessory body was built in adherence with the function of changing room for the Arzo football team. Since its closure in the 1960s, the building has been used by the football team thanks to the addition of a body containing the changing rooms which transformed the original volume. The project plans to restore the building to its original state as much as possible and to give it a new life.
The project involves the demolition of the changing room building, the cleaning and repair of the deteriorated concrete parts, the repair of the roof and the replacement of the tiles where necessary.
Given the characteristic amphitheater shape, steps will be created in chestnut wood planks produced by Lugano woods which will allow the structure to be used again by the population for events such as the Arzo International Storytelling Festival or other outdoor shows with a maximum capacity of 300 people.
Progetto: 2017 –
Committente: Città di Mendrisio
Architetto: Enrico Sassi
Collaboratori: Alessandro Armellini, Irene Lucca